561 replies to this topic

#101 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

Just the start of building a position - will add more if/when it drops lower.  ;)

I see a big trade went through at 11:54.

#102 Hooligan

Hooligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:02 PM

Nice, Hooligan. Although I'd still be waiting but I reckon 1260 is good.

Just the start of building a position - will add more if/when it drops lower.  ;)

#103 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:08 AM

Added some ADH to the LTP at R12,60

;)

Nice, Hooligan. Although I'd still be waiting but I reckon 1260 is good.

#104 Hooligan

Hooligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:44 PM

Added some ADH to the LTP at R12,60

;)

#105 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 18 November 2015 - 07:21 PM

Ja, I saw that. Which accounts for it closing at 14750 instead of about 15000. I could be wrong but I don't think it will have a material affect on the price.

#106 candle-stick-surfer

candle-stick-surfer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:44 PM

Could Vodacom shareprice do the same as MTN. below is from bloomberg business reported at 4:30

Vodacom Group Ltd., the South African unit of Vodafone Group Plc, is being sued for $14 billion in the Democratic Republic of Congo by Alieu Conteh, the controlling shareholder of the wireless company’s minority partner in the country.

The claim relates to allegations by Conteh that Johannesburg-based Vodacom’s international unit helped to undermine the businessman’s position as a statutory director of Congolese Wireless Network, which owns a 49 percent stake in Vodacom Congo. Conteh’s action in the Commercial Court of Kinshasa/Gombe also seeks to overturn a court decision stripping him of his directorship.

“Vodacom International Limited is opposing Mr Conteh’s claim, which we believe is unfounded and unsubstantiated,” spokesman Tshepo Ramodibe said in an e-mailed response to questions on Wednesday. “Our view is that Mr Conteh’s action is primarily a challenge to the decision of the Commercial Court of Kinshasa/Gombe which removed him as a co-manager of CWN.”

Conteh didn’t immediately return a phone call seeking comment.

Vodacom shares fell as much as 2.4 percent, the most since Sept. 28, and traded 0.7 percent lower at 147.50 rand at the market close in Johannesburg. The stock is up 15 percent this year, valuing the company at 219 billion rand.

Vodacom was in a dispute with CWN in 2012 about ownership and investment in the unit, which had 11.9 million customers at the end of June, a 14 percent increase on the previous year. The company also has operations in Tanzania and Mozambique as well as South Africa.

#107 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 18 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Vodacom - 100%

Bought at 14984.

#108 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 10 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Cash - 100%

Sold CPF at 1710.

#109 orca

orca

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 10 November 2015 - 01:25 PM

I give up. :(

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#110 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:47 PM

You are trading on the JSE and not doing futures like SSF's if I remember correctly. If you are doing that then you are throwing money down the drain. You can do SSF's without any gearing and will save on costs and not have interest eroding your gains as there is no loan.

Or pick stocks that will give good returns over a 3 year term then you will not pay Income Tax on gains. You will pay CGT from 10% to zero effectively depending on your tax bracket. The first R30k is exempt from tax.

If you cannot pick stocks, then go for ETF's like STXIND and DIVTRX and you will get good returns and not need the expense of medication for stress and high blood pressure to boot.

I don't want to trade derivatives. I want to trade the simplest and easiest thing there is to trade. Not SSFs or CFDs or Warrants or anything else.

#111 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

You are trading on the JSE and not doing futures like SSF's if I remember correctly. If you are doing that then you are throwing money down the drain. You can do SSF's without any gearing and will save on costs and not have interest eroding your gains as there is no loan.

Or pick stocks that will give good returns over a 3 year term then you will not pay Income Tax on gains. You will pay CGT from 10% to zero effectively depending on your tax bracket. The first R30k is exempt from tax.

If you cannot pick stocks, then go for ETF's like STXIND and DIVTRX and you will get good returns and not need the expense of medication for stress and high blood pressure to boot.

#112 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:39 PM

Over a 5 year period that would be a huge loss as you could have compounded your profits instead of giving it to SARS.

As I stated below, I could have retired in the Bahamas instead of cheap Portugal.

How am I supposed to compound my profits instead of giving it to SARS?

#113 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:30 PM

Over a 5 year period that would be a huge loss as you could have compounded your profits instead of giving it to SARS.

As I stated below, I could have retired in the Bahamas instead of cheap Portugal.

#114 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 November 2015 - 04:19 PM

You do not need to take brokerage, VAT and other fees into consideration when filing tax as it is included in your Brokers Note as "Due From You" and "Due To You" amounts.

Your gains are being devoured by up to 33% tax. THAT is the big problem. 

33% tax isn't a problem for me.

#115 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 09 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

You do not need to take brokerage, VAT and other fees into consideration when filing tax as it is included in your Brokers Note as "Due From You" and "Due To You" amounts.

Your gains are being devoured by up to 33% tax. THAT is the big problem. 

#116 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:21 PM

You and I had this discussion before some years ago. You keep jumping into cash on any bad news. Do you not take tax and broker fees into consideration? Then timing the market to get back in when the prices are actually higher than where you got out.

I have been there and done that but learned my lesson.

Had I stayed in since the crash of 2008/9, I would have had R16M by now. Unfortunately fear got the hold of me and I kept jumping into cash at any bad news and getting back in at a higher price. After all the tax hassles I now only have a small fraction of that. 

I'm not quite sure what bad news you're talking about. Could you be more specific? There's bad news all the time. Lots of it and its everywhere. It may seem like I jump into cash on any bad news but that's also part of my strategy. I want to get out while the going's good so I can get back in at the first sign of an end to the bad news :-D

I don't consider tax when trading the same way as a normal taxpayer would. I am a provisional taxpayer and I deduct my broker's fee, including other associated fees, as an expense. SARS considers my trading as a business. My broker fee is 0.4%.

What I like to do is lock in profits. which is perhaps what you see as getting back in when the price is higher than when I got out. Sometimes I'll do that and other times I'll get back into when the price is lower.

#117 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:17 PM

Cash - 100%

Sold RES at 11660.

You and I had this discussion before some years ago. You keep jumping into cash on any bad news. Do you not take tax and broker fees into consideration? Then timing the market to get back in when the prices are actually higher than where you got out.

I have been there and done that but learned my lesson.

Had I stayed in since the crash of 2008/9, I would have had R16M by now. Unfortunately fear got the hold of me and I kept jumping into cash at any bad news and getting back in at a higher price. After all the tax hassles I now only have a small fraction of that. 

#118 Bread

Bread

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:39 PM

CAPPROP - 100%

Bought at 1641

#119 Bread

Bread

Little Master