#141 Hooligan

Hooligan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 August 2014 - 08:23 AM

Current holdings:

Share Code ASPEN APN BRAIT BAT CALGRO M3 CGR CORONAT CML GRANPRADE GPL FAMBRANDS FBR LIFEHC LHC METROFILE MFL MIXTEL MIX MR PRICE MPC MTN GROUP MTN SAB SAB VODACOM VOD WOOLIES WHL

up 14% YTD. 

Good show.

I'm sitting at 8% up YTD - mainly due to non performance of FBR and MTA thus far this year (which is 40% of my portfolio)

#142 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 20 August 2014 - 06:41 PM

Current holdings:

Share Code ASPEN APN BRAIT BAT CALGRO M3 CGR CORONAT CML GRANPRADE GPL FAMBRANDS FBR LIFEHC LHC METROFILE MFL MIXTEL MIX MR PRICE MPC MTN GROUP MTN SAB SAB VODACOM VOD WOOLIES WHL

up 14% YTD. 

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#143 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:55 AM

Glencore today announces a share buy back rather than a special dividend. Should see a little drop as divi hunters are disappointed.

Rather a jumbled bag given the Xstrata merger. 

With Glassenberg having full control now me thinks this is a keeper & will get more should it have a marked down turn. 

Anyone need a heads up...!

#144 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 19 August 2014 - 10:19 AM

SPG brilliant!!

Bought at 60c a few years ago,,,,ten to one consolidation  ; = R6.00

today +R31.00!!!  go u good thing!!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#145 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:26 PM

steer clear..better options out there than VIL and even more so if wanting a longer term punt but good luck eitherway

way to go... We including me all went through that when we/I first started..

had VIL , Mor etc in my portfolio...what a waste... stick to top 100 and u wont go wrong!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#146 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:20 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I really do appreciate it as I have no experience in the LT department :)

I agree, VIL is a dodgy pick. Their last 2 quarterly updates were what made me decide to choose it (they seem to be improving...)

So am I perhaps going about it wrong by trying to pick small/mid caps for my portfolio? Would it make more sense to stick with the tried -and-tested blue chips then?  :unsure:

#147 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:15 PM

VIL: I have hope of a recovery to 100c+ if they manage to sell their underperforming assets (Cons Murch, etc) and it should be noted that the market cap is only a fraction of the value of Tau. But again, the value will only be realised if management gets themselves in gear....

steer clear..better options out there than VIL and even more so if wanting a longer term punt but good luck eitherway

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#148 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:12 PM

I hope not  :rolleyes: They aren't a large part of the total amount I have invested in the JSE, so one or two going bust is not a too big thing (though definitely not what I ideally want!)

VIL: I have hope of a recovery to 100c+ if they manage to sell their underperforming assets (Cons Murch, etc) and it should be noted that the market cap is only a fraction of the value of Tau. But again, the value will only be realised if management gets themselves in gear....

RSG: If they can get the rest of their financing sorted, we will see a jump in share price quite quickly. Once (/if) production starts I would expect RSG to perform really well (scheduled for June 2016, hopefully no more delays...)

too many "Ifs" Yussuf!!!

That's a bad sign for investing with thse smaller caps.... They more prone to fail than survive with the Ifs!!

HDB

#149 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

well you own 2 duds of the JSE...Long term they may be bust and gone!!! :)

I hope not  :rolleyes: They aren't a large part of the total amount I have invested in the JSE, so one or two going bust is not a too big thing (though definitely not what I ideally want!)

RSG: If they can get the rest of their financing sorted, we will see a jump in share price quite quickly. Once (/if) production starts I would expect RSG to perform really well (scheduled for June 2016, hopefully no more delays...)

#150 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 04:03 PM

Don't know much of RSG but Village passop.....!! Those directors are in it for what they can get out AT shareholder expense if it comes to that.

There's better prospects than VIL or JBL type for 10 baggers.

I'm looking at ARB for long....long term 

Anyone need a heads up...!

#151 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:57 PM

My LT portfolio (newly started):

RSG 

VIL

Will look to add another company every 6 months (which will by large be small/mid caps).

I know it's a risky portfolio considering it is for the long term, but I am still very far from retirement age (hopefully not too far :P ) and my reasoning is that I would just need one of these to pay off in a big way to cover any losses incurred on the others. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?

well you own 2 duds of the JSE...Long term they may be bust and gone!!! :)

HDB

#152 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 15 August 2014 - 03:55 PM

My LT portfolio (newly started):

RSG 

VIL

Will look to add another company every 6 months (which will by large be small/mid caps).

I know it's a risky portfolio considering it is for the long term, but I am still very far from retirement age (hopefully not too far :P ) and my reasoning is that I would just need one of these to pay off in a big way to cover any losses incurred on the others. :rolleyes:

What do you guys think?

#153 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:52 PM

I want to re adjust my portfolio but need to ask this;
If I sell today, do I have to wait 7 days before I can use the funds to buy?

no...u can buy immediately!!

Edited by HDB, 13 August 2014 - 01:54 PM.

HDB

#154 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 13 August 2014 - 01:51 PM

I want to re adjust my portfolio but need to ask this;
If I sell today, do I have to wait 7 days before I can use the funds to buy?

I started here with nothing and still have most of it left.

#155 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:43 PM

So it was CML who were the first one to run for the door...seems like they sold last 2 days at below R1.00 as writing was on wall!!!

and who bought.... :D

HDB

#156 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 13 August 2014 - 09:22 AM

Sasol 12M rolling forward PE.  You choose...

Attached Files

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#157 M e r l i n

M e r l i n

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
  • LocationSANDTON

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Automotive industry in SA shall not have a particularly good run due presently due to general economic unhappiness, so no great shakes locally short term, but a solid company for long term.

For long term, MTA will beat most other stocks. If you have been watching it over the past year, you will see the fundamentals that can only push the price upwards. Foreign exposure with their Turkish acquisition will see this stock as a winner for many years.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. (Isaac Asimov)

#158 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:20 PM

For long term, MTA will beat most other stocks. If you have been watching it over the past year, you will see the fundamentals that can only push the price upwards. Foreign exposure with their Turkish acquisition will see this stock as a winner for many years.

#159 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:10 PM

My long term portfolio:<br /><br />MTA, ARH, OMN, GPL, OLG, CIL, SOL, ADI

#160 orca

orca

The Oracle

• 2,227 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:55 PM

CIL is a momentum stock and will carry on with that trend. I love this stock and will include it with MTA for alpha "must have stocks".

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting