• Please log in to reply
35854 replies to this topic

#22661 JJBen

JJBen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 420 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:19 PM

At what actual time on IG is the divi paid ( price adj take place)

The price adjustment takes place 16h50, but because IG is based in LONDON, the payment to you only takes place when IG closes in London. Friday evenings @ 23h15. This was when I still traded cash, now only futures. No daily interest payments on futures contract.

#22662 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:17 PM

Sure looks like the short term top is in!So the Sale did start... B)

Given that the overall trend is still up as we have not seen a weekly reversal candle yet my take this will not be a too much of a retrace, the 41700ish is the November high and previous breakout point to which she normally returns too!

The 5H 89 is also at that level and should be good support!Think 40500 is too far down in this new uptrend, just my 2c!

A

A small long would not hurt from 42500. It could be a bear trap.

When the Yankies wake up they might push it higher into the close. It's been the trend since last week.

Just put a stop around 42350

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#22663 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:57 PM

Hi Argento,

Is the 41700 target because of the closing price on 2 Jan 2014. I still have a target of 40500 to the bottom of the band.

I am short

Regards

Sure looks like the short term top is in!So the Sale did start... B)

Given that the overall trend is still up as we have not seen a weekly reversal candle yet my take this will not be a too much of a retrace, the 41700ish is the November high and previous breakout point to which she normally returns too!

The 5H 89 is also at that level and should be good support!Think 40500 is too far down in this new uptrend, just my 2c!

A

"Never never never give up!"

#22664 Sunesis

Sunesis

Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,781 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:22 PM

Does the cookie crumble in April or May

No profession requires more hard work, intelligence, patience, and mental discipline than..speculation.

#22665 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:36 PM

Well done Jakes sculpmaster.Yip long is the game atm.Just have to be ready to change as the down correction is gonna be a big one imo. US flying but very overbought.I think the drop will start with the US and that will give us time to adjust but for now long and patient.

Jakes, where/how do you set your stops when scalping. I still tend to win 5 and then loose 1 that blows all my profit, and more! :(

Exi, impie, exi, scelerae, exi cum omnia fallacia tua

#22666 AJS

AJS

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,971 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 12:14 PM

Interesting...

This shows the inflation adjusted performance of the DOW over the last 3 major market cycles of the past 100 years.

Attached Files

"Trade what you see, not what you think"

#22667 tjnop

tjnop

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:30 AM

Hi Argento,

Is the 41700 target because of the closing price on 2 Jan 2014. I still have a target of 40500 to the bottom of the band.

I am short

Regards

#22668 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

The bear signals are definitely there...especially that negative divergence on the 5H and see the daily MACD has also turned from its overbought situation!

If she keeps going down (41700ish backtest as mentioned) then great buying opportunity coming friday, if she makes a new high again come Thursday/Friday then great short opportunity, so if you are patient a winning trade is c'mon up and I'm waiting for that!

If she has started going down this blip will be short lived anyway, that bullish weekly reversal candle still in play and with this market she can easily start going up again....the risk is on the short side!

Always risk vs reward!

A

Very insightful, thanx A! Hope you're right (this time) ;)

#22669 Argento

Argento

The Artist

• 3,481 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Argento, is it just me, or is ALSI busy with the (long anticipated) downward trend on the 1d? 

It would seem we have been conned (duped) into thinking "up", but ALSI busy with a slow turning down, with a sharp drop coming tomorrow or Thursday?

The bear signals are definitely there...especially that negative divergence on the 5H and see the daily MACD has also turned from its overbought situation!

If she keeps going down (41700ish backtest as mentioned) then great buying opportunity coming friday, if she makes a new high again come Thursday/Friday then great short opportunity, so if you are patient a winning trade is c'mon up and I'm waiting for that!

If she has started going down this blip will be short lived anyway, that bullish weekly reversal candle still in play and with this market she can easily start going up again....the risk is on the short side!

Always risk vs reward!

A

Edited by Argento, 25 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

"Never never never give up!"

#22670 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:35 AM

Thanks HDB. I am also eyeing that 20 day MA (too closely at times)

Agree...Look at the 5 hour chart on investing.com

Since the reversal up from 40000 this is the first time the price has tpuched back towards the 20 day moving average!!

Confirmation will be when new candle goes below 20 day MA...Im waiting and will short once its below!!

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#22671 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:23 AM

Argento, is it just me, or is ALSI busy with the (long anticipated) downward trend on the 1d? 

It would seem we have been conned (duped) into thinking "up", but ALSI busy with a slow turning down, with a sharp drop coming tomorrow or Thursday?

Agree...Look at the 5 hour chart on investing.com

Since the reversal up from 40000 this is the first time the price has tpuched back towards the 20 day moving average!!

Confirmation will be when new candle goes below 20 day MA...Im waiting and will short once its below!!

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#22672 Lekkerry

Lekkerry

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • LocationZA

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:12 AM

From your perspective, Lekkerry is faceless and to a degree nameless, so any opinions expressed are just that, opinions from someone on the Internet  :D

#22673 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

It should be 16h50, but I recall once that the adjustment was only made at IG close at Friday midnight, so better to phone them to confirm...

Thanks K

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#22674 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 10:01 AM

It should be 16h50, but I recall once that the adjustment was only made at IG close at Friday midnight, so better to phone them to confirm...

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#22675 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:58 AM

Can't remember exactly, but think it's either 16h40 or 16h50??

#22676 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:57 AM

You have a few options:

1) If you longer term play is for a large number of points relative to the divi, just pay the divi and make sure your account can handle the payment

2) Hedge with an equal long position on Friday - This is risky if the market doesn't recover quickly (last year it did, but not guaranteed) - Remember that the index falls with the same number of points as the divi, so that your longs will be in the red the moment the divi is paid

3) Cover your shorts, and re-enter at a later stage (obviously you lock in losses/profit)

All in all a very personal choice, but not an easy one to make. If we only knew what the market was going to do....  :P

K

Thanks. I was thinking more in the line of your option 2, but wouldn't like to keep such a big long position open over the weekend, so yes, a bit of a gamble (which I don't like).

#22677 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:47 AM

HDB

#22678 K~~

K~~

Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

To all the guys (and galls! ;)) with experience: I am heavily (for me) short at the moment, longer term; what will be the best play for me, with the eye on the big divi on Friday? :unsure:  

You have a few options:

1) If you longer term play is for a large number of points relative to the divi, just pay the divi and make sure your account can handle the payment

2) Hedge with an equal long position on Friday - This is risky if the market doesn't recover quickly (last year it did, but not guaranteed) - Remember that the index falls with the same number of points as the divi, so that your longs will be in the red the moment the divi is paid

3) Cover your shorts, and re-enter at a later stage (obviously you lock in losses/profit)

All in all a very personal choice, but not an easy one to make. If we only knew what the market was going to do....  :P

K

"The Stock Market is never obvious. It is designed to fool most of the people, most of the time." - Jesse Livermore.

#22679 BBW

BBW

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts
  • LocationHelderberg

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:57 AM

To all the guys (and galls! ;)) with experience: I am heavily (for me) short at the moment, longer term; what will be the best play for me, with the eye on the big divi on Friday? :unsure:  

Edited by BBW, 25 February 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#22680 pjr@

pjr@

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 24 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

SPX: the current rally is Minor wave b of an overall “a-b-c” Int. wave ii pattern - confirmed.

Excessive wisdom is foolishness.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting