35854 replies to this topic

#15381 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:15 AM

HDB, apologies for the late reply...as BBW correctly say's, when you are about to enter or in a trade...stay away from any forums, financial newspapers etc.

This morning you said that yesterday's engulfing candle was different to the others, please explain in what way?  (I have put up a chart for comparison)

I agree with you that Bil was the main driver behind that move, but as you will know it just takes one of the big dogs jumping like that to cause havoc!

You also said that it was a false candle due to fundamentals... but tecnically correct.

In my view when it comes to trading the Alsi (not investing in shares) fundamentals play second fiddle to technicals.

Hi M

Tough question hay...Me and my big mouth :D

I just felt on the tech side was a prefect full bodied candle.However one has to look deeper to see what caysed it.. BIL dropped 5 % at close after opening up nearly 2%...So NIL basically took 300p off our index after adding 120p initially!

Was the 300p justified?  BIL gave no technical selling signal... BIl is listed on 4 makor stock exchanges and its main listing is OZZ.. When we opened , Ozz was closing and it reached an all time high at close there. We then had the resullts which then smashed the share. I did mention on the thread i felt SA and UK overreacted to it and we will see OZZ  shareholders reacting differently. Well they certainly did.. Down but not a hiding. In fact ths morning BIL was nearly 1% up in OZZ but came back down because of bad China News..

So basically im saying yes, technically was a red candle,  but on looking deeper i could not tru trust that candle on fundemental grounds

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#15382 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 21 August 2014 - 07:05 AM

hmmm...asian PMI data likely to cast shadow over alsi today

still long but stops now tight

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#15383 Mhlato

Mhlato

Little Master

• PipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationNTvl

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:26 PM

HDB, apologies for the late reply...as BBW correctly say's, when you are about to enter or in a trade...stay away from any forums, financial newspapers etc.

This morning you said that yesterday's engulfing candle was different to the others, please explain in what way?  (I have put up a chart for comparison)

I agree with you that Bil was the main driver behind that move, but as you will know it just takes one of the big dogs jumping like that to cause havoc!

You also said that it was a false candle due to fundamentals... but tecnically correct.

In my view when it comes to trading the Alsi (not investing in shares) fundamentals play second fiddle to technicals.

Attached Files

"Don't try to buy at the bottom and sell at the top. It can't be done, except by liars." - Bernard Baruch

#15384 TellyTubby

TellyTubby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:15 PM

For those thinking of playing the long term short there might be lots of pain in the next 5 days. 47000 is inevitable 47800 probable and 48750 possible. FInal topping in at 49120 months end - 2nd week in September. SP500 only starting on its parabolic tear away to 2020..We had ignition , now the liftoff 

I don't think anyone is thinking about a short right now; they've been short since 45783 (apart from Jakes, Delta and Blyth).

It's painful to be short, brother! 

Happy trading.

Its catch up time..and shorts are bound to be shaking soon

#15385 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 10:01 PM

until pressure on underlying US job market abates..equities will remain in demand and dare i say go "higher"

#15386 Beorn

Beorn

The Oracle

• 3,219 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:56 PM

I have no idea why US markets are moving higher.<br />But I'm not complaining.

Alsi future

I only post my views, not advice

#15387 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:55 PM

i have money on...UP!

just my view, you guys(bears) have really tested my resilience lately :P

#15388 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:52 PM

Delta what do you think up or down tomorrow?

IG CASH

#15389 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

dow=free money/giveaway hour :D

#15390 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:19 PM

I'll go to bed with that thought. Tomorrow is another day.
Blessed trading +

Sent from my GT-N8000 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app

Cheers, brother.

Happy trading!

#15391 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:17 PM

During your grandmothers days the market dynamics was totally different!!  There was no such thing as shorting stocks and neither could you trade the index!!

Advent of shorting has changed the playing field and dynamics of investing totally...

Also greed has become a factor hence the introduction of CFDs and SSFs...These have become the biggest weapons of mass destruction in the world!!!

I get your point, brother. You make an interesting point. But here's something else I'm getting: just like every other trader out there, we keep blaming everything and everyone around us but ourselves! For example, my grandmother can short shares nowadays, but she doesn't.

CFD's are there because the actual share price has become almost unaffordable. Expensive. We say it's expensive because the P/E ratio or some funny indicator says it is. My grandmother doesn't think it's expensive and that she should consequently sell. No, she keeps it. She held on to those shares through a lot of dips in the market when all the college-educated traders with their indicators were selling. That includes the one that the snake-oil salesmen often use to scare us - 2008. She held through that period as well. Six years later my grandmother's smiling again. The ALSI is up 97% since the 2008 high. The sky didn't fall after all.

But anyway, thanks for your views, brother. I guess what I'm trying to say is: there's a man behind the curtain and we are just puppets. Funny how it's so much easier to trick the so-called educated folk than it is to trick the illiterate ones. I guess we're too smart for our own good.

Happy days, brother. Tomorrow's another day.

I'll go to bed with that thought. Tomorrow is another day.
Blessed trading +

#15392 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:06 PM

During your grandmothers days the market dynamics was totally different!!  There was no such thing as shorting stocks and neither could you trade the index!!

Advent of shorting has changed the playing field and dynamics of investing totally...

Also greed has become a factor hence the introduction of CFDs and SSFs...These have become the biggest weapons of mass destruction in the world!!!

I get your point, brother. You make an interesting point. But here's something else I'm getting: just like every other trader out there, we keep blaming everything and everyone around us but ourselves! For example, my grandmother can short shares nowadays, but she doesn't.

CFD's are there because the actual share price has become almost unaffordable. Expensive. We say it's expensive because the P/E ratio or some funny indicator says it is. My grandmother doesn't think it's expensive and that she should consequently sell. No, she keeps it. She held on to those shares through a lot of dips in the market when all the college-educated traders with their indicators were selling. That includes the one that the snake-oil salesmen often use to scare us - 2008. She held through that period as well. Six years later my grandmother's smiling again. The ALSI is up 97% since the 2008 high. The sky didn't fall after all.

But anyway, thanks for your views, brother. I guess what I'm trying to say is: there's a man behind the curtain and we are just puppets. Funny how it's so much easier to trick the so-called educated folk than it is to trick the illiterate ones. I guess we're too smart for our own good.

Happy days, brother. Tomorrow's another day.

Edited by Roundtree, 20 August 2014 - 09:09 PM.

Happy trading!

#15393 bear catcher

bear catcher

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • LocationPretoria

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

If I may ask Bear...Did you credit your account to make that up or use what you had left?

Ettas I had 12k left and traded micro mostly long until I had 50k must say it was up and down then went cash again

IG CASH

#15394 HDB

HDB

The Oracle

• 5,229 posts
  • LocationBy the sea

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

My hearts bleeds for you, brother. 

But let me ask you a question: my grandmother who's seventy six, has a nice investment portfolio in her name. All she did was buy and hold and she came out on the other side smiling. I refuse to believe that she's sharper than you and I with respect to trading/investing. You and I probably spend a thousand times more time than she does interacting with the market; she only gets quarterly statements and she's done just fine.

Now my question is: are traders just plain dumb or are we being misled by brokers? How is it possible that someone without a college degree like my grandmother can do so exceptionally better than 99% of traders? What is the one thing we do with respect to trading that she doesn't do? Does she short stocks? Does she use indicators and moving averages? Why is that when we get technical about trading, we end up losing money? And the most important question is: Who are these people on these forums advocating that we use indicators and short the market? Have we been successful trading that way? Have they? If they haven't, why do they scream the loudest when another trader chooses to trade differently from them? Are they being paid to mislead? Or are they also unwittingly being misled but they just don't know it?

The other question is: why is it so easy for daytraders to take a short yet so hard to get out of that short if it's losing money? We seem to get out of losing long positions quicker than we do shorts.

There are more questions than answers, as the song goes.

Happy trading, brother. Hope you get out of that hole.

Edited by HDB, 20 August 2014 - 08:28 PM.

HDB

The mediocre teacher tells.The good teacher explains.The superior teacher demonstrates. The great teacher inspires!!

#15395 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:15 PM

:wacko: Don't talk to me about pain. I still have a short running 42054, and since I have nothing to hide that short and only that one is R128 910.00 in the red. That is painful. Luckily I discovered you guys and now I've got a trading plan.   

But let me ask you a question: my grandmother who's seventy six, has a nice investment portfolio in her name. All she did was buy and hold and she came out on the other side smiling. I refuse to believe that she's sharper than you and I with respect to trading/investing. You and I probably spend a thousand times more time than she does interacting with the market; she only gets quarterly statements and she's done just fine.

Now my question is: are traders just plain dumb or are we being misled by brokers? How is it possible that someone without a college degree like my grandmother can do so exceptionally better than 99% of traders? What is the one thing we do with respect to trading that she doesn't do? Does she short stocks? Does she use indicators and moving averages? Why is that when we get technical about trading, we end up losing money? And the most important question is: Who are these people on these forums advocating that we use indicators and short the market? Have we been successful trading that way? Have they? If they haven't, why do they scream the loudest when another trader chooses to trade differently from them? Are they being paid to mislead? Or are they also unwittingly being misled but they just don't know it?

The other question is: why is it so easy for daytraders to take a short yet so hard to get out of that short if it's losing money? We seem to get out of losing long positions quicker than we do shorts.

To answer your question. Yes we are stupid. But it takes a special kind of person to do what we are doing. We are all adrenalin junkies. The rush that goes through you when you take a position is like bungy jumping or riding a motorcycle fast. If you trade and you do it with a suit and tie in the comfort of your home, I will not be bluffed. You are adicted to adrenalin and your grandmother is not. We are unfortunately also control freaks. We want to be in control, which is a very, very bad habit and not something to be proud of. I am working very hard to try and change that but it is very difficult. Your Grandmother may also be a controll freak but the lack of technology in her younger years has hampered her from not taking her investments into her own hands. How blessed she is.
Blessed trading +

B

#15396 Roundtree

Roundtree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 296 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:49 PM

:wacko: Don't talk to me about pain. I still have a short running 42054, and since I have nothing to hide that short and only that one is R128 910.00 in the red. That is painful. Luckily I discovered you guys and now I've got a trading plan.   

Happy trading!

#15397 Ettas

Ettas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:34 PM

Mx I feel for you I had a simular situation end of 2012 lost 72 k but learnt a lesson.Luckily I have made it back.I allso now feel at ease with my short of 46320

If I may ask Bear...Did you credit your account to make that up or use what you had left?

#15398 davidp13

davidp13

Little Master

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:18 PM

my last post read - Viva la bull...eish. As i got to my destination I saw things were not looking good so closed all my trades on ALSI. Monday(not telling my wife as she will kill while on holz) went long SPX 1959 and Tuesday long EURZAR, USDZAR and USDJPY. Checked in just now.

BEST HOLIDAY GIFT IN A WHILE :)

I find trading like body surfing, catch the right one and you will make it all the way to the beach.

#15399 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:15 PM

I feel for you mx, that should be really painful

Mx I feel for you I had a simular situation end of 2012 lost 72 k but learnt a lesson.Luckily I have made it back.I allso now feel at ease with my short of 46320

Thanks guys. Good to know I'm not the first to get caught like that. Thanks for the support. 

#15400 mx125

mx125

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • LocationKZN

Posted 20 August 2014 - 07:05 PM

Bear, why did you go short here. 

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting