• Please log in to reply
165 replies to this topic

#61 Perreby

Perreby

The Oracle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,408 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

results in jan. trading statement could come whenever the company wants to issue. I would guess december, ie if earnings is 20% different.

Given the comparison to prior years growth there is a chance it could be 20% lower, at least that is what the market has been pricing in

Their earnings doesnt mean much..

Rather look at their debt, what is lying in "inventories" and their cash situation

Gaan groot of gaan huis toe

#62 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:33 PM

Question: when are we expecting trading update and results for ELI?

results in jan. trading statement could come whenever the company wants to issue. I would guess december, ie if earnings is 20% different.

Given the comparison to prior years growth there is a chance it could be 20% lower, at least that is what the market has been pricing in

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#63 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 02:03 PM

7.8% up ...

Yes, I will take your money!  :ph34r:

#64 michaessers

michaessers

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 01:11 PM

some real schenenigans going on here. Im very weary of this kind of activity. im staying well away except if it gets to the R4 mark...then id take a PUNT

#65 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:48 PM

The CEO just bought 100K shares .... 

Price has jumped 3% 

These guys are playing mind games with the public! At what stage do we call it insider trading?

#66 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:14 PM

yup, market pricing in very bad results. hopefully an over reaction but will only know once results are out

Question: when are we expecting trading update and results for ELI?

#67 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 23 October 2013 - 12:10 PM

down a few % already this morning. im guessing will be down another 3.5% by the end of the day

yup, market pricing in very bad results. hopefully an over reaction but will only know once results are out

Do not try and bend the market. That's impossible. Instead... only try to realize the truth. Then you'll see, that it is not the market that bends, it is only yourself.

#68 michaessers

michaessers

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 October 2013 - 10:31 AM

down a few % already this morning. im guessing will be down another 3.5% by the end of the day

#69 Playa

Playa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
  • LocationVryburg

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:36 PM

Definitely heading south, will have to see how far down.. Have to wait for results

#70 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:38 PM

in hindsight i could of opened a short as a hedge to mitigate slide on the LT but holdings are so small that it doesn't warrant such action

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#71 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:31 PM

How can you agree with Gamma when you just sold out?     

Well because I said the short term prospects are uncertain and management appears somewhat suspect so if you are not willing to wait and confirm this then it makes sense to sell.

For me, I'm sitting with a huge profit as bought in very early so I can afford the volatility and am okay to at least ride out through next report.

If I was sitting on a loss I might have had a different take

#72 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:26 PM

The opportunity cost of holding whilst the stock experiences negative sentiment is the deciding factor. Not only is it likely to experience further weakness, I am losing out on potential profits on other stocks, or just even interest at money market rates.

I bought at 6,40 and sold at 6,15

The company's long term prospects make sense and based on those prospects, I believe the company is undervalued at these levels. I will be investing in this stock again in the future, but I just want to give myself the best chance of making a decent return. So I will wait for the sentiment to turn and for the prospects to start gathering momentum.... Then I will invest, maybe even at a lower price point if I'm lucky.

Again, I agree with Gamma.

#73 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 22 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

My take.

For those who bought in in the R8's or above you have my sympathy. However if you bought to profit from it's positive momentum you should of sold in the high R9's cos it lingered there for some time. That aside the positivity that took it there was the set top roll out and the power save Eskom roll out. Now we have the incident where the directors were locking in their profits with fancy collar hedges, I agree not cool to send out that message. Did you copy him...? if not why not...? did it have such an impact as to lose 35% off their share price...? I think not. They are in another phase of the company's on going history. Gov's delay in the set top box thingy is not helping will Eskom do another round of power save initiatives maybe...! If you're a believer or not is your call, been in for quite a while so still gonna hold. That's not to say I'm not concerned with the recent slide.

Cheers.

:)  

Anyone need a heads up...!

#74 HendrikB

HendrikB

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationSouth East Asia

Posted 22 October 2013 - 11:21 AM

I agree with Gamma

I have just sold out, 

How can you agree with Gamma when you just sold out?     

#75 ThatBlackGuy

ThatBlackGuy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 22 October 2013 - 10:41 AM

I agree with Gamma

I have just sold out, and am not interested in the ride to the bottom. But I do like the company long term prospects.

This free fall seems to be gathering momentum, and I believe I can find better things to do with my money in the meantime. 

If you're holding, Godspeed! 

I will be back for this stock when sentiment has changed and we understand why management are so quite and selling their stock so aggressively.

MDHBMT

#76 delta66

delta66

"Veni, vidi, vici"

• 3,918 posts
  • Location37.2350° N, 115.8111° W

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:55 AM

for what its worth..i'm holding and will continue to do so until they reverse or bottom out.  very small sum invested(being a small cap) so can easily bring my average price down by buying back.

btw....gamma, i agree with your view.

“melior diabolus quem scies”

#77 gamma

gamma

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationEverywhere

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:38 AM

FYI...in reference to the title of this thread...Investment...not 'trade'.

I think you guys are bit too quick on the trigger. I'm gonna take a look at the next set of results before making a longer term decision on Ellies. 

Making long term decisions on price volatility or whether a director sold some shares makes little sense. If you are trading ELI I can understand it but then this is not a particularly good stock to trade. You either positive or negative long term view.

How about a more reasoned discussion on future prospects and operational management?

My opinion is still unchanged

Management leaves a lot to be desired although one can't generally argue with what they have done with the company over 5 years.

Short term prospects are uncertain - Africa growth is still a major driver and the sat business should see continued growth.

On the downside, SA is a problem in terms of the digital roll out and the generally slow economy. Mid term, expect these shorter term issues to resolve and SA to pick up some steam. Remember we still have the huge black middle class growth driver in SA and Ellies along with the rest of the economy should capitalise on that.

Key issue in the next report is how well Management can balance these shorter term factors with the longer term prospects.

#78 Mad Max

Mad Max

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationJohannesburg

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:17 PM

Ha Richmond! its a timebomb wating to go off. It will drop soon. R68 to R100 is not true growth in one year. Same goes to CML but that should only drop next year.

I would rather invest in a share that does 1% up a day then a share that goes does 4.62% like ELI did today. I had ELI and jumped ship in May.   You are making a prediction but you don't have a crystal ball so FU.

#79 michaessers

michaessers

• PipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:17 PM

@Wessel..this is going one way...south. you did the right thing by gettin gout.

#80 wessel

wessel

• PipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationGrabouw

Posted 21 October 2013 - 05:41 PM

Well got out at 630 from 723. Good luck to all those who are holding. Now that I'm out the price will skyrocket.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting