Photo
- - - - -

Small Caps: Which is the Next Ten Bagger?

small caps

• Please log in to reply
1114 replies to this topic

#881 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 01 July 2014 - 10:39 AM

South Ocean Holdings Ltd (SOH):

interim results expected to be released by the beginning of August.

Share Price: 80c

NAV: 348cps

HEPS: 21cps

EPS: -77.7cps

"The main reason for the decrease in earnings is an impairment charge amounting to R148,1 million (2012: R175,0 million) against the

goodwill, which arose through the acquisition of Radiant Group Proprietary Limited in 2007. The balance of the goodwill was impaired during
the year, as approved by the Directors, based on current and future market conditions affecting the earnings of Radiant. Steps have been
implemented by management to improve the profitability of this segment which should materialise during the next few years.

Prospects

The market conditions will remain challenging during the 2014 financial year, however the results are expected to show a significant improvement compared to the 2013 financial year. Management are in the process of refocusing the lighting and electrical accessories segment and regaining lost market share. Cost control and improving working capital will continue to be a focal point during the year, leveraging on operational efficiencies and capitalising on existing marketing opportunities. The Group has submitted a number of tenders to Parastatals (Government, Eskom) since the previous period, which has not yet been awarded. Any successful tenders will increase revenues."

- from 2013 results

They look interesting with results coming up soon(maybe a trading statement reflecting improvement in earnings as hinted that may occur  :rolleyes: )

Any comments?

#882 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 30 June 2014 - 09:02 AM

WSL to begin being free to move from tomorrow, time to get in under 200c....

#883 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 11:28 AM

A few of the asset management firms increased their holdings in ABIL at around the R9 mark.... Suckers

& doing it again today me thinks.... :rolleyes:

CML holders should E-mail & say stop wasting our good returns propping this counter up..!

Anyone need a heads up...!

#884 longterm413

longterm413

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:21 AM

At the rate ABIL is going, it will be considered a small cap very soon :D

Haven't been on it, last I checked it was round the R9 mark, jouch! If it goes lower I'm willing to take a small punt :D

A few of the asset management firms increased their holdings in ABIL at around the R9 mark.... Suckers

#885 Jonny

Jonny

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:18 AM

Haven't been on it, last I checked it was round the R9 mark, jouch! If it goes lower I'm willing to take a small punt :D

I'm done with falling knifes... There is other stuff in the market to invest/trade in. Though, I was considering to buy Telkom when it turned... but, does the risk outweigh the potential reward? The issue with these type of happenings is that you start bleeding skilled staff as well (might be good and bad). The institutional investors have been jumping in, but they are able to ride it out a lot longer than the rest of us.  

My posts are my opinion and shouldn't be seen as investment advise from me or the view of the organisation I work for.

Do your own research before engaging in trades/investments  :)

#886 Goliath

Goliath

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:08 AM

Never underestimate the potential for human stupidity when wealth and power are at stake!

#887 Shi

Shi

Master

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 927 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 27 June 2014 - 08:32 AM

“One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. Which road do I take? she asked. Where do you want to go? was his response. I don't know, Alice answered. Then, said the cat, it doesn't matter.” - Lewis Carroll

#888 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 11:20 PM

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes, I agree with investing all the way… Now, just toying with idea of playing with some spare cash for a quick buck...

I have these so far… all equally weighted:

Adapt IT

Aspen 

AVI

BHP Billiton

Richemont

Howden

Mediclinic

Mr Price

MTN

Nampak

Netcare

Oceana

Omnia

Though not happy with Nampak. Want to dump it. Unsure what to replace it with…. Reading Anthony Clarke so far… taking in some of his considerations...

Cannot fault your picks. seems well diversified.

contrast that with my core holdings, in no specific order (although possibly alphabetically):

ARL

BBEWT40

BTI

PTXTEN

REM

SLM

SOL

VOD

investing -->generally see no additional benefit from a diversification point of view, to many more than 5 counters.

at some point, i will add SHP to the mix..

assfore spare cash, buy your love a splendid and memorable dinner :lol:

Life is for living...

#889 MSF

MSF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:34 PM

trading is a full time occupation and NOTHING about it is easy! blown two trading accounts in the previous millennium :(

investing gives you more leeway...

bought my first shares in '91 - the only penny stock i ever owned was NTC at 85c - pure luck? NEVER EVER touched another!!

what you own so far?

Thanks for the reply :)

Yes, I agree with investing all the way… Now, just toying with idea of playing with some spare cash for a quick buck...

I have these so far… all equally weighted:

Adapt IT

Aspen 

AVI

BHP Billiton

Richemont

Howden

Mediclinic

Mr Price

MTN

Nampak

Netcare

Oceana

Omnia

Though not happy with Nampak. Want to dump it. Unsure what to replace it with…. Reading Anthony Clarke so far… taking in some of his considerations...

Edited by MSF, 26 June 2014 - 10:37 PM.

#890 RusQ

RusQ

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 10:09 PM

Hi, I'm new to ShareChat :) Started purchasing shares in 2012 for the long term, thereby focusing on the "cream of the crop" kind of companies. However, "waiting" is a boring thing to do. Although THAT long term portfolio will remain untouched with recurring monthly investments & dividends reinvested till retirement… 

For the interim, was playing with the idea of setting up a short-term portfolio… But I've never read about a penny stock in my life before. Just never focused on these kind of companies.

This is the first thread I am reading on ShareChat. Aim is to hold anywhere between 6months to 3 years, whichever is applicable to make profits and keep rolling.

Just have to say though, seeing all you clue-up people comment here is so daunting!! Scared to even say a word, being a beginner.  :unsure:

Can anyone please tell me if this is as easy you guys make it sound or can one get their fingers burnt BADLY?  :wacko: Maybe refer me to where I can gain more knowledge about penny shares before jumping in. :)

PS: Buying on margins are completely not an option for me, so CFD's, etc are out of the question. BUYING and selling actual small cap shares will do, due to religious reasons. (Muslim) :)

trading is a full time occupation and NOTHING about it is easy! blown two trading accounts in the previous millennium :( 

investing gives you more leeway...

bought my first shares in '91 - the only penny stock i ever owned was NTC at 85c - pure luck? NEVER EVER touched another!!

what you own so far?

Life is for living...

#891 MSF

MSF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationDurban

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:40 PM

Hi, I'm new to ShareChat :) Started purchasing shares in 2012 for the long term, thereby focusing on the "cream of the crop" kind of companies. However, "waiting" is a boring thing to do. Although THAT long term portfolio will remain untouched with recurring monthly investments & dividends reinvested till retirement… 

For the interim, was playing with the idea of setting up a short-term portfolio… But I've never read about a penny stock in my life before. Just never focused on these kind of companies.

This is the first thread I am reading on ShareChat. Aim is to hold anywhere between 6months to 3 years, whichever is applicable to make profits and keep rolling.

Just have to say though, seeing all you clue-up people comment here is so daunting!! Scared to even say a word, being a beginner.  :unsure:

Can anyone please tell me if this is as easy you guys make it sound or can one get their fingers burnt BADLY?  :wacko: Maybe refer me to where I can gain more knowledge about penny shares before jumping in. :)

PS: Buying on margins are completely not an option for me, so CFD's, etc are out of the question. BUYING and selling actual small cap shares will do, due to religious reasons. (Muslim) :)

Edited by MSF, 26 June 2014 - 09:41 PM.

#892 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:59 AM

Oh...ok thanks

#893 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:48 AM

Three Wescoal SENS out this morning :)

the one was for WHL lol. I also thought it was WSL initially  :P

#894 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:44 AM

Where's the 3rd..?

Thanks in advance

#895 vlam

vlam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:25 AM

#896 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Re-entered (for about the 5th time in 2 weeks) into MMG at 1000c. Target 1080c, otherwise will hold till LDT (this friday)

#897 Magnet

Magnet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 309 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:13 AM

It is making a bit of a move this morning.... lets see if it holds. <br /><br />Sent from my GT-I9500 using Sharenet Sharechat mobile app<br /><br />

#898 yusufm

yusufm

The Punter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts
  • LocationWits

Posted 24 June 2014 - 09:11 AM

Ref: WSL results

My fears are that the wet weather earlier in the year and Eskom issues have severely hurt the 2nd half of FY14.

Taken from the little guy's post a few weeks back.....On the button....

Still very solid performance....I'm still happy to hold.

Agree it is a good performance. Sold out at 205c though, will re-enter at 195c. It will stay in this range until the 30th of june so might as well make a quick buck 

#899 soutie

soutie

Sage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 08:16 AM

Ref: WSL results

My fears are that the wet weather earlier in the year and Eskom issues have severely hurt the 2nd half of FY14.

Taken from the little guy's post a few weeks back.....On the button....

Still very solid performance....I'm still happy to hold.

#900 Sugafoot

Sugafoot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 06:21 PM

You say we must wait for the buy back before we see any positive movement? WSL

yip, since I think the SENS means that its basically guaranteed the share will trade at 200c on the day of the buyback (unless someone is willing to buy the 14 million shares at a higher price)
With the strike over, we will have more pressure on electricity. I think we might see WSL and KEH move up nicely in the coming weeks. Eskom needs all the coal it can get.

Sponsored by Sharenet and VPSNine Linux VPS Hosting